Sunday, January 16, 2011

believe

according to the dictionary believe means-to have confidence in the truth, the existence, or the reliability of something, although without absolute proof that one is right in doing so....

there are a lot of 'should believes' in my live. these came from parents and teachers and religious personnel.and over the past 30 years i have examined quite a few of those. i kept the ones that really resonated with my soul and discarded the ones that didn't.

i don't go to a church anymore. not because i do not believe in god but because i do not believe in the institution of god. god is more than a building and the bible and preachers. we were each created in the image and likeness of god so god must be a 49 year old woman. i am god and god is me. and i respect that and celebrate that everyday.

every year in my art classes someone will bring up Santa Claus. and the big question is do you believe. YES! i say. some of them look at me with a smirk that suggests i am an adult humoring a child. not so.
i DO believe in Santa. i believe in the essence of what he stands for. giving, kindness and generosity...why wouldn't i believe in that?

here are a few more things i believe in....you may or may not agree with me and that is OK~

i believe that there are no coincidences in this world. every person, all the events of my life, are there because i have drawn them there and it's up to me what to do with them.

i also believe that there is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its hands. we seek problems because we need their gifts. which correlates to the earlier statement about coincidences. everyday i wake up in the morning is a gift.


i believe that the opposite of loneliness is intimacy- imagine not having a close personal relationship with another person. i'm not talking sex here. i am talking emotional intimacy.

i believe that reality is based on perspective and being respectful of another's perspective is a key element to peace.  (tolerance....)

i believe that love really is the answer. we have just forgotten what the question was.

what do you believe in? i mean really believe all the way down to your toes believe.

4 comments:

Chveya said...

I believe that our beliefs are very resonate. Is that a word? It has been nice to stumble upon your blog. =) Thanks for sharing.

laura said...

I believe it's a word if you need it to be :)

Marianne@RuffHaven said...

I met you yesterday thru OWOH and came back today to get to know you a bit better. I love your blog and everything in ...
especially this post
this post rings so true to me.
I believe in Santa Claus
I believe in Love
I believe in God and the interconnectiveness of the universe
I do not believe in reigion

laura said...

Marianne- thanks for coming back again today. It's nice to know that I'm really not crazy and there are other people out there who can relate. I love this world wide web that we weave for ourselves!